Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A bit about Marburg and my Dorm



Hello again. The video up there is my dorm. Sorry I am no (insert your favorite director, or at least a famous one here), but hopefully you get the gist of it. The building I am in have 7 floors. I am on the bottom. Though the front door is between floors 1 and 2, being on floor 0 has its advantages. Floor 0? Over here everything starts with floor 0. I am sure there is good reason for this. I like being here though, because my kitchen is down the hall and out floor has its own back door only we can unlock there. The kitchen is fairly small, but is big enough for us. It has two small fridges, which are packed already and a 6 burner stove top. It serves our floor of 16 rooms.
When I first got here I met our hausfrau. None of them speak English, but she talks slow for me. It seemed as if I was the only one here for a while, but now a few other people are coming back from break, I think.
Ok, Marburg time. This city is beautiful. I will not get into the history because I could talk about it all day, but currently there are about 50,000 people here with another 30,000 in the near area. Of that there are about 20,000 students, of which 12% are foreigners. There is math there, but I am not going to do it.
The city has multiple parts. Marburgerschloss, or the castle of Marburg, is at the top of this really big hill. Three sides are very steep. Up on the hill is the Oberstadt. To get up there the least steep side is opposite from where I always am, but they have a few elevators that go up to the Oberstadt. That is also where all the rest of the oldest parts are. Its crowded with old buildings and cobblestone streets that are too small for even smart cars.
Then there is the main part of the city. Philipps University has its main building on Rudolphsplatz, or the square, though its more a triangle of streets really. The Cineplex and some banks are there too. Across the river is the Mediamarkt, like Best Buy, and some of the grocery stores and stuff. Think of it like a backwards L.The little part is the Oberstadt, the joint being the platz. Going up is the way to the train station. Keep going and you get there, then go further and you get the Studentendorf, or student village, or home. Every section takes about, slow walking, 20 minutes or so.
So maybe one quick little chill story. Fritz, my German buddy, calls and wants to get dinner. I walk to the train station and we go get groceries near there. We walk back up and have the most relaxing time. We sat in our kitchen watching Supertroopers, and made homemade french fries with cheese and bacon, and eventually had another Turkish girl join us.

<---- After signing some papers way too early in the morning, Desa and I went to this little Cafe in the Oberstadt. The view was awesome, overlooking the rest of the city and the river. I could not get any good pictures but I will go back and get some. But here is a moment of zen.

This was supposed to be up yesterday, but my internet hates me. Skype and internet explorer do not work, along with anything else. It says I am not connected to the internet now, but Fritz got me on through Google Chrome. And the program I have to use for the video makes it weird. Oh well, later all.

No comments:

Post a Comment