Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fencing!



<---- Here is the view from my classroom I promised. Thats the castle there on top. The river is below, it was super high and fast the other day. Lots of the sidewalks and parks were closed and completely flooded.

We have now started our history and culture course. I think its awesome. The teacher is a very awesome guy. Klaas Kunst. He is a professor of conflict studies, maybe why I like him so much. He has this rule about cell phones, if yours goes off, you bring candy the next day. As soon as he says this, Joe Canada calls someone in the front row. His phone was on silent though, but he turned around and glared. Of course today in class I checked my phone, it said silent, as I am putting it away it rings. Apparently these 5 Euro Nokia phones are not perfect. It was even good ol' Fritz calling. So he showed me this little store where to get cheap candy thats still good.

More importantly though, I finally found one of the fencing clubs! I am so happy. My legs hurt, but its a good hurt. I got there a little late, thanks confusing old streets. To get there I have to take this bus to an old stop that no one else uses I think. Then walk up this winding back staircase. After following this cobblestone street and going behind another building I found it.

Trying to do some warm ups were fun. One guy would yell a command and everyone would follow, then I would go. I think I have some of it figured out now though. then came free fencing. I won the first two and the last one lost by one point, but five years vs a year and a half. I will take it, and I am still pretty rusty.

To top the night off though was the walk back. To get to a working bus stop at that time of night I walked through the Oberstadt, all the way though. The lights were perfect on the little old houses and shops and cobblestone. It really was relaxing. There were just enough people out to make it interesting, but not enough to ruin it. Carrying my fencing kinda made it not fun though. Its a little heavy.

---> Fritz and I kickin back in our kitchen. We were gonna make more pasta, but could not find sauce. Nutella and toast was good instead though.

(I am taking requests on anything anyone wants to hear about in the next enteries.)

3 comments:

  1. I think it's time to visit that castle and the Elisabeth church. I think it is for the same Saint Elisabeth at Wartburg's castle (remember with the 4+ million mosaic tiles on the walls?)

    That's my vote, for a blog entry.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should bring Fritz to the US, we would show him a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to read about the differences (Germany vs US) that we back home (that have not been to Germany) wouldn't normally think of. Love the posts!

    ReplyDelete